Saturday 19 January 2013

Inkaar Review Case Dismissed

Director Sudhir Mishra

Starring  Arjun Rampal, Chitrangada Singh



I have seen most of Sudhir Mishra's films, my favorites remain Is Raat Ki Subah Nahin and Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi. I also quite enjoyed Yeh Saali Zindagi. 

I was quite tickled by the trailers, because it is not very often that you hear the word "sexual harassment"  in our films. Now what will Sudhir Mishra do with it remained to be seen. So off I went to catch it.

The film starts off well, the look in place, the setting of a successful Advertising Agency, with a foreign tie-up and the usual suspects of the same. It straight away gets down to business where we get to know Maya (Chitrangada) has filed a formal complaint against the CEO and her erstwhile mentor Rahul (Arjun Rampal) for sexual harassment. A review committee headed by a social worker (Deepti Naval) who deals with similar cases is set up. Who is right, who is wrong, who is the victim, who is the perpetrator, and in the gray world we live in, are there any correct answers, this is the basic premise of the film.

A mature subject, good looking cast, some worthy cameos... but a story that doesn't do anything for you the way it is told. From the word go, Maya's character is of a woman who seems to know exactly what she wants. From booing at an award show to happily accepting the physical advances made by her boss. Yes, she admits to being in love, but when she decides to file a sexual harassment complaint, you find yourself rooting for the perpetrator. In a story where everything is supposed to be gray, I was surprised at myself. I am not sure that is what the director set out to do.

The questions raised are valid. When does Flirtation become Harassment, what is the line in an office where girls and boys work long hours together and are bound to get intimate in more ways than one. I am not saying give me answers, because there are none. We each have our own moral "Lakshman Rekhas" But keep me interested in this discussion. This is where the film fails.

For me, caring for a character is the main ingredient which makes me enjoy their journey. Whether I hate them or love them, I care. The film beyond a points makes me not care. I am all for realism, smartness and slick editing but where is the story headed? The end is so "come on, what? this?? No way" that it takes away  everything from the film which was trying to explore what really happens when people ambitious enough to "use" others on their way up are faced with tough decisions. The compromises, the heartbreaks and the corrosion of the moral fiber.

Now for the acting. Chitrangada can not act. Yes. This film awards her a certificate of that. The surprise package is Arjun Rampal. He pulls of his role with restraint that the character demands, and boy does he look good! The supporting cast has some good moments with Vipin Sharma, Shivani Tanksale and Deepti Naval. And then of course suddenly there is Saurabh Shukla unleashed on you singing, dressed up like a kid rapper.

If you want paisa vasool, this ain't it. But if you want to keep a tab on what is the Talented Mr. Sudhir Mishra up to, do pay a visit. 

My Rating 2.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment